Monday, June 28, 2010

What's on your summer reading list?

So technically, it's only a week into summer, but I feel like summer's been here for almost 2 months! The Texas heat is already oppressive, but all the extra time in the air conditioning makes for some great reading!

I don't think I'm going to make it to 25 books by the end of June (the half-way mark of my 50 books for the year goal), but I'm making great progress! And there's so much left to read.

I have a lot of books on my summer reading list. Here's a sampling:

Currently reading: I'm in the middle of 3 books right now (2 regular and 1 audio).
Marriage, A History (which reminds me of Hogwarts, A History every time I look at the cover!) by Stephanie Coontz. It's fascinating from an historical and sociological perspective. I love it!

Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. Awesome for inspiring writing.

My Life in France by Julia Child. So fun! Made me watch part of Julie and Julia yesterday.

And coming up:

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo-I've heard so much about it. It's time.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn-It's been sitting on my shelf for ages.

Blue Like Jazz-I've heard so many great things AND it's been sitting on my shelf forever.

There are still so many more I want to read. But I think this will be a good start for the summer. The marriage book is long and dense so I think it will take me awhile.

What's on your summer reading list? If you need more inspiration, here's a list from NPR.org.

Happy reading!

5 comments:

Kirsty said...

I just finished "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", and the rest of the trilogy, and I LOVED it. It more than lived up to expectations. Expect to be thoroughlly gripped by a cracking story and amazing characters. I'm so sorry that there will never be any more!
Another one you must read (everyone should!) is "Let the great world spin" by Colum McCann. I couldn't believe how much I loved this book - it's simply awesome literature.

Unknown said...

i read the whole girl with the dragon tattoo trilogy, too. the first bit of the first book was sort of confusing to me, but i kept at it and then i couldn't put it down. so amazing.

i'm currently reading franny and zooey. i'm really enjoying it.

Jamie said...

I plan to read Radical by David Platt (a story of living minimally in order to give back more). I'm reading this after my new iPhone comes in.

I needed some inspiring choices which is why I come here :-)

Caitlin said...

Kirsty and little miss spy-I'm excited to hear more recommendations for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! That will have to be my next pick! And Kirsty-yes, I read and really enjoyed Let the Great World Spin!

Jamie-Ooh, that one sounds interesting. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the rec. Enjoy your new iPhone! :) Maybe you can find some great life simplifying apps!

HanPlans said...

I've had Blue like Jazz on my bookcase for about 4 years or more - I think I was given it or a I adopted it and never got round to reading it lol. Might have to come back to that one