Friday, August 27, 2010

Do You Watch Book Trailers?

Have you seen any good book trailers lately?

There seems to be a new trend of creating book trailers for upcoming publications. According to wikipedia, "A book trailer is a video advertisement for a book which employs techniques similar to those of movie trailers. They are circulated on television and online in most common digital video formats." I also discovered there that the term "book trailer" is trademarked by Sheila Clover of Circle of Seven Productions. Apparently, they've been around for years, but I've only become aware of them in the past several months. Where have I been?

I usually find book trailers on youtube, but that's usually after I've read a book and I'm looking for more information about to book to write about it. I've never been swayed to read or buy a book because of it's trailer. Have you?

Most of the trailers I view seem very strange to me. Of course, the production quality varies greatly (especially if they're only being view on youtube), so some of them are just poorly made. But also, I think I feel a disconnect when I view something on video that's meant to represent a product in a print medium. I can also see, however, that the could be an excellent means of reaching potential readers in new ways.

Here are a few websites to check out if you are interested in viewing some book trailers for yourself.

Expanded Books (via YouTube)

What do you think? Do you have any experience with book trailers? What are your impressions? To give you an example, I'm including a book trailer below for a novel I recently read (and LOVED--post forthcoming). If you haven't read it, please let me know if you are enticed at all by the trailer. Do you think you have a different opinion than if you had just read the dust jacket?

No comments: