Thursday, May 21, 2009

BookPeople

In general, I will enjoy just about any bookstore I walk into.  Large chain stores, tiny independent book stores, used-books...it really doesn't matter.  There is something special and enjoyable about each type of book store.  The big chains like Borders and Barnes and Noble are great for when I want to disappear.  I can just browse and wander around for a long time.  Also, there is something strangely comforting about walking into a familiar store in an unfamiliar city.  However, I probably don't buy many of my books from them.  

Smaller independent stores are fun when I want to find something different--when I don't even know what I am looking for.  I enjoy supporting local businesses and the unique features they offer.  Used book stores are similar, although the prices are generally lower.  I also enjoy imagining the previous lives the books have lived before they found a home on my shelves.  

I had a wonderful bookstore experience today in Austin at BookPeople.  I've been there once before, and can tell I will be there often when I move here.  It has the size, selection, and open space of a large store, but the charm and individuality of an independent store.  

What do you love about bookstores?  What types do you prefer?  I didn't even mention Amazon, or other online book-buying options, which do represent a large chunk of my book purchases.  Where do you get most of your reading material?

2 comments:

Mara said...

There's a great independent bookstore/coffee shop in Baltimore called "Red Emma's." It's the kind of place where you could start a revolution. The aisles of books are labeled with such topics as "Social Theory," "Gay, Lesbian & Transgender," "Race Relations," and other tantalizing and often taboo subjects.

Katie said...

This place sounds similar to Joseph Beth, which means it must be lovely and near perfect.