Friday, September 4, 2009

Reading Rainbow



Apparently I have been living under a rock, but I just found out that Reading Rainbow has ended!  I haven't watched it in a long time, but I do remember watching it as a child and really enjoying it.  I am sad about this development, but it leaves me wondering as well. 

In light of my recent readings about TV and kids, I have mixed feelings.  The general opinion of the book I read was that while educational programming (they focused on Sesame Street) is better than other types of shows, no TV is better than watching the educational stuff.  So where does that leave us?  Although to be honest, I preferred Sesame Street and Mister Rogers to Reading Rainbow, I still enjoyed it.  I can't help thinking that Reading Rainbow was important for kids who didn't have parents to model reading for them at home.  Is that plausible at all?  Thoughts?

Here is some additional reading for those who are interested:


2 comments:

Katie said...

I was really sad too to hear that Reading Rainbow was canceled, but I must admit that my first thought when I heard the news was "It's still on TV?!"

Jillian Frances said...

I was totally obsessed with Reading Rainbow as a kid. I remember the very first time that I watched it, and my mother saying, "I think you'll like this..." I can still sing the theme song in my head.