Monday, March 23, 2009

a little bit different

I've decided to change the name of my blog and to try to make it a little bit more focused.  With the conclusion of my formal education approaching, I am becoming increasingly excited about having more time to read more books of my own choosing in a few months.  In the past year, I've heard about commonplace books on several different occasions.  I've also read several commentaries that equate blogs as basically a modern-day version of the original commonplace book.  Also, I started to read this book, which gives a lengthy list of classic books and suggests ways to understand and retain their contents.  These suggestions basically revolve around a commonplace book.  I haven't finished it yet, and I haven't read many of the books it suggests, but I would like to try it again this summer.  I also plan to write about and quote from any other not-so-classic books I'll read.  These won't really be reviews, but rather reflections, ideas, quotations, etc.  That's all a commonplace book is really supposed to be.  I have a notebook ready to have a pen and paper version as well, but for lengthier thoughts, I believe typing will be better.  I am looking forward to it and hope it helps me to motivate to keep reading once I have more time!    

No comments: