Friday, February 12, 2010

Literary Revlations

There have been a few revelation in the literary world this week that offer glimpses into the minds and inspirations of two of the 20th century's most beloved American writers.

First, my lovely friend, Katie, told me about some newly released J.D. Salinger letters. I listened to an NPR story about Salinger just after his passing, and the scholars who took part in the conversation wondered aloud if there would be additional writings released. Is the a harbinger of things to come?

The other was a recent "discovery" about a possible inspiration behind William Faulkner's novels. A plantation diary was recently revealed to have contained some character names and other details from some of Faulkner's best loved books such as The Sound and the Fury and Go Down Moses.

I'm excited to read more about both of these recent revelations. I've never read Go Down Moses, but maybe I should. Are you a fan of either of these writers? What do these new insights provide to you?

No comments: