Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Read-Aloud Handbook


I was prompted to write this post because of Jen Robinson's recent review and reflection on this classic text.

I read The Read-Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease about a year ago, and absolutely loved it! Obviously, I don't have children yet, but I still found it to be fascinating. I learned a lot of things that I packed away to apply to my own children someday, but also applied it to my interactions with my nieces and nephews and with the kids I baby-sat for.

Basically, the premise is that one of the best indicator's of a child's reading-level and comprehension is how much they are read to. Trelease emphasizes the importance of reading to children even after that are able to read to themselves. He blends detailed research studies with experiences and advice from reading to his own children. For a comprehensive review, I direct you to Jen Robinson's link above.

I also encourage you to visit his website www.trelease-on-reading.com. It includes book lists, book reviews, excerpts from the book, and a plethora of other useful information and resources. I just reread his biography page and was inspired to learn that he began his research and work on literacy out of personal interest. He wasn't originally trained in education or reading, but rather as an artist and journalist. This is encouraging to me as a consider how I want to incorporate my love of reading, books, and education into a future career. I love stories of highly successful people who found their niche later in life!

Image from amazon.com



No comments: