Thursday, February 25, 2010

Reading is Fundamental Funding

My beloved sorority, Kappa Kappa Gamma, supports Reading is Fundamental as our national philanthropy. I've blogged about it before, but I cannot say enough about this wonderful organization. Their mission is to bring books into the hands and homes of children who need them most. Many of the books I've read about literacy stress how important it is for young readers to have books in their home and books to call their own. RIF fills that need for children across the country.

RIF's funding has been completely eliminated in President Obama's next proposed budget. This will be catastrophic for RIF programs across the country. What can we do to help? RIF's website provides a simple and easy way to contact your congressional representative about this vital issue.

Budget issues are always difficult, I realize, and I don't mean this to be an overly-political blog. So if you believe these cuts are justified, I respect that. But I ask you to go to RIF's website and learn about the issue. Find other ways you can help. You can volunteer to read to kids, collect books, or donate money directly. And SPREAD THE WORD! There's a button (albeit truncated) on the left column of my blog where you can enter your zip code and be directed to a web page that allows you to contact your representative. You can easily paste that same button on your webpage if you so desire. Tweet or blog about RIF's work.

Reading is good for kids and kids need books to read. RIF delivers those books to kids. Can you help them?

No comments: