Monday, August 10, 2009

Bas Bleu Quotations

Once again, I went on an unintentional hiatus, but I am going to focus and get back on track-again!

As promised (more than a week ago), here are a couple of quotations about books and reading from the Bas Bleu literary catalog and website!

"Just the knowledge that a good book is awaiting one at the end of a long day makes that day happier." -Kathleen Norris (love her!)

"No entertainment is so cheap as reading, nor any pleasure so lasting." -Mary Wortley Montagu

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers." -Charles W. Eliot

I have just requested a catalog and it should be arrive within two weeks.  I am so so delighted with the entire concept of this catalog and website.  Their tag-line is: "Champion of the odd little book...and your source for inspired gifts and accessories for readers."  How lovely is that?  I adore odd little books!  And as I said before, "Bas Bleu" means blue-stocking in French, which is a literary woman.  

I like to consider myself a "literary woman", but then I also think that there is much I could do to move myself more in that direction.  Can I consider myself to be well-read?  Do you consider yourself to be well-read?  What is the criteria?

2 comments:

Katie said...

I too love the idea of being a literary woman and I still call myself a bookworm when "Internet worm" or "Reality Show worm" would better some it up. I'm trying to read more and live up to the names I give myself!

Caitlin said...

Do we know where the term "bookworm" actually came from? I may have some wikipedia reading in my future...