Thursday, August 27, 2009

Nice to Come Home To

Most recent read: The Art of the Handwritten Note, by Margaret Shepherd


Yesterday I finished reading, Nice To Come Home To, by Rebecca Flowers. I found it on the bargain shelves at Borders a month or so ago, but had other things to read in the meantime. When I finally picked it up a few nights ago-I barely put it down. Obviously, it was a pretty quick read, but it was fun and I would recommend it.

It's the story of Prudence Whistler, a woman in her mid-thirties, who looses her job and her boyfriend in pretty rapid succession. At first, it was eerily similar to my own life, as she was searching for a job in the nonprofit industry (as I am). The similarities seemed to stop there, however (except for her fondness for lists and planning-a fondness which I also share). Although the set-up is fairly typical for chick-lit, I suppose, the story did not turn out quite as I had imagined it would. And in the end, I was very satisfied!

Flowers' book was smart, too. She is a contributor for NPR's All Things Considered, and included my beloved public radio into several parts of the story line, which was very cool. The descriptions were vivid and the characters were very real.

If you are looking for a fun end-of-summer read, grab Flowers' Nice To Come Home To. I was definitely glad I finally did.


3 comments:

The Depressed Yogi said...

Ooh that sounds like a fun read! I'll have to check it out. Only $6 on amazon!

Caitlin said...

I think you'd like it! Great that it's such a deal on Amazon!!

Wini said...

Hi Caitlin, Sounds like a really lovely book...! I would just like to let you know that I've posted your interview!! Have a great day, Wini