Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Keep a Poem in Your Pocket

The little girl that I baby-sit for has this great book of poems for children, edited by Caroline Kennedy.  The illustrations are beautiful and it's a wonderful mixture of silly "kids" poems and "real" poems.  I don't know what I really meant by that except to say that there's something for everyone in the book-not just children.  The little girl is two and wants me to read to her from this book often.   Here is one of my favorites from there: 

by Beatrice Schenk de Regniers

Keep a poem in your pocket and a picture in your head
And you'll never feel lonely, at night when you're in bed.  

The little poem will sing to you, the little picture bring to you
A dozen dreams to dance to you, at night when you're in bed.

So-keep a picture in your pocket and a poem in your head
And you'll never feel lonely, at night when you're in bed.  


Isn't that sweet?  It feels quite comforting.  Apparently, New York likes it as well.  The City of New York has made April 28 "Poem in Your Pocket Day".  I think I want to participate as well.  What poem should I choose?  Caroline Kennedy also edited another anthology of poems.  Maybe I'll pull that off the shelf and pick one of those.  But first I need to pick a poem to take with me tonight when I go to sleep...

6 comments:

Kelly Schulz said...

So sweet! I love the idea of keeping a little poem in your pocket to cheer yourself or someone else up :)

Jessica Nichols said...

I read this to my kinder son and he says, "Beautiful poem."

I have an English degree and I say, "What's not to love?" :)

Jacqueline said...

Oh my that is sooo sweet! I love this idea of keeping a little poem in your pocket! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

Courtney said...

Aww, I get so excited when little kids are excited about books!

That poem really is great. Thanks for sharing.

Elv Freiheit said...

That is a beautiful poem! Thanks for visiting my blog too. I'm glad you liked the bookshop.

Katie said...

This sweet poem reminded me of the darker angle to the idea that a poem will keep you company, best presented in one of our favorite plays, Alan Bennett's The History Boys.

Timms: Sir. I don't always understand poetry.
Hector: You don't always understand it? Timms, I never understand it. But you learn it now, know it now and you'll understand it whenever.
Timms: I don't see how we can understand it. Most of the stuff poetry's about hasn't happened to us yet.
Hector: But it will, Timms. It will. And then you will have the antidote ready! Grief. Happiness. Even when you're dying. We're making our deathbeds here, boys.