Monday, June 8, 2009

Knit Two


Last summer, when I came home from grad school for a few weeks, my mom had placed a stack of books on the night-stand by my bed upstairs.  They were all books she thought I'd enjoy, since I had the time for pleasure reading without my regular school load.  One of them was The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs.  I devoured it in just a couple of days.  Although I've had an interest in knitting for a while, I've never successfully picked it up, but this story masterfully wove some more technical aspects of knitting into a compelling story about and odd group of friends.  I was surprised by the ending, but overall, it was an excellent read.  

She came out with a sequel some months later, but I was unable to read it before I finished school.  I picked it up a few weeks ago and, again, consumed the novel in about 60 hours.  At first it was a bit slow as it started with reminders and rehashings for the first book.  It picked up, however, and was another captivating read.  The sequel takes place five or six years later, and I loved seeing what had become of the characters in that time.  the members of the Friday Night club were still close and central to the story, but they did not meet as regularly as in the first book, and, to me, it felt like something was missing.  However, I was much more satisfied with the ending to the second book.  The first book left me at something of a loss, but the second assured me that the characters were all going to be okay.  

If you are looking for some summer reads that are fast and engaging--check out the Friday Night Knitting Club novels.  Now if I could just learn how to knit...

3 comments:

Danielle said...

I also found it a bit slow to start off but another brilliant book. Well worth the read.

Katie said...

*sigh* If only you were 1000 miles closer we could learn to knit together!

Caitlin said...

D- I'm glad you enjoyed it too! Have you found other similar books that you also enjoyed? I'm dying for some more summer reads like this one!

K- No kidding. I need a knitting buddy. :(