Thursday, June 18, 2009

New Books



Whenever I need a little pick-me-up, I usually end up at a bookstore.  This time I went to Borders, and came away with the books above.  It's probably one of the most diverse collections of books I've bought at one time in a while!

Wreck This Journal:  This was actually the book I went to Borders to buy.  The other two were just bonuses.  I bought this one so I could participate in this intriguing book group.  Check it out!  You can jump in anytime.  I'm already a couple weeks late, but I'm catching up!  I've done a few pages and am looking forward to wrecking a few more.  I heard a lovely interview with Keri Smith, the author, with Kimberly Wilson, and she was a fascinating person.  Details and pictures to follow.  

Julie and Julia: This book caught my eye just as I was leaving.  I've seen it on the shelves for years now, but have never actually bought it.  Now that I'm seeing movie previews, I really want to read it before I see the movie.  And I need to get started because the movie comes out soon and it looks so good!  I've only read a few pages, but I cannot wait to read more.  I'll definitely let you know how it goes!

The 100 Best Business Books of All Time:  Admittedly, this is not the most exciting book of the stack.  I've been applying to jobs, and while I understand that a book will not make up for lack of experience in certain areas, I felt like it would be a good idea to familiarize myself with certain business concepts.  I've been interested in business as of late, and want to know what books I should read.  I considered all the books on the shelf in the business section, and I knew some of them would be good, but I wanted an endorsement of sorts before I dug in.  So I decided on this one, and then from there I will buy/procure from the library some of the books on the list.  I'm excited about reading this overview!  

What books have you purchased recently?  Have you read any of these?

4 comments:

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

I used to read the Julie:Julia blog on the Salon website a few years ago, and then I learned that the blog was turned into a book. Pretty cool how there is cross over between the blogging and publishing world.

Have a great day! Liz

Katie said...

The World is Flat is supposed to be an excellent business book. I own it, but haven't been able to read it because...yeah, I'm just not interested. I feel like I should be since I like to pretend that I'm an intelligent person, but I just prefer fiction.

Caitlin said...

Liz-Is the blog still up?? I'll have to look into this!

McB-The World is Flat--yes, I've heard of this. It's not included in this book, but I think it'd be good to read it too. The concept sounds really interesting.

eLIZabeth Floyd said...

Caitlin, Here is a link to what I found of what remains of the blog http://blogs.salon.com/0001399/2002/08/25.html

It does not look active anymore.